Jane Garibay has announced her candidacy for the 60th district in the State House of Representatives. Garibay says, “My many years of experience working with people in business, education, budgeting and teamwork make me an ideal candidate. The key to successfully representing the residents of Windsor and Windsor Locks is to be attuned to the issues that affect them, such as jobs, transit oriented development and the state budget. It’s important to have integrity, honesty and common sense.”
People have asked me why I’m running for the 60th district, and why now. I’ve always been passionate about politics. And I’ve always wanted to run for higher office but it was never the right time in my life. Now is my time. I will devote myself full time to representing the people of Windsor and Windsor Locks in the Connecticut House of Representatives.
My life, with the variety of people and businesses I’ve worked with, all the boards I’ve been on, and all the volunteer work I’ve been involved in, have all prepared me to do this job. I know that Windsor and Windsor Locks have many of the same challenges. And in talking with many people from Windsor and Windsor Locks, I know that they have more similarities than differences. We all need good jobs. We all need reasonable healthcare. And we all want a responsible state budget. These are achievable goals and I plan to work with our legislators, on both sides of the aisle, to make them happen.
Jane Garibay has a record of service, leadership, and results.
She is a life long resident of Windsor with a few years in Mexico and Vermont. She has been the Executive Director of the Windsor Chamber of Commerce since 1999. Previous experience includes working for the Town of Windsor in the Recreation department and teaching English as a second language in Mexico and teaching Spanish at Saint Gabriel School in Windsor. Jane has been an active volunteer for more than 40 years.
Jane has received many regional awards throughout her career:
- 2014 Chamber Executive of the Year award, New England Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives
- 2013 Bridge Builders Award, Town of Windsor Human Relations Commission
- 2009 Elks Distinguished Citizenship Award
- 2007 Vocational Service Award, Windsor/Windsor Locks Rotary Award
- 2001 Connecticut Town Clerks Association Award
Current and Past board positions include:
- President and Founder of the Windsor Education Foundation, 2007 – 2014, 2019 to present
- Member, Windsor Volunteer Ambulance Board of Directors, 2019 – present
- Member, Nutmeg Senior Rides Advisory Council, 2018 – present
- Member, Windsor Economic Development Commission, 1999 – present
- Chairperson, Project Santa, 2013 – present
- Co-chair, Windsor School to Business Partnership, 2012 – 2018
- Board Member and President, New England Association of Chamber Executives, 2011 – 2018
- Family-Community Partnership 2016 – present
- Board Member and President of the Windsor Food and Fuel Bank 2013 – 2015
- President of Windsor Community Television, 2006 – 2010
- Ascend Mentoring, 2009 – 2012
- Graduate and Certified Facilitator for Parent See/CT School for School Change, 2007 – present
Elected Municipal Offices Held:
- President, Windsor Board of Education, 2000 – 2005
Jane lives in Windsor with her husband Bernardo, their niece Jennie, and a dachshund named Otto. They have three children, Cate, Jose, and Andrew and one grandson, Faolan.